Friday, May 29, 2009

Early Moonrise

Early Moonrise
36 x 30
Available at Hildt Galleries, Chicago


"To rise, I must have a field to rise from."
Mary Oliver

I've been looking into phases of the moon lately and moonrises in particular. Online you can find out when the moon was full a hundred years ago or when it will be a hundred years hence (remember, hope springs eternal). What surprised me though was how often the moon rises at midday or early afternoon. When I was out walking this afternoon I looked for it. There it was almost directly overhead at 6PM. So, those early moonrises on summer nights when the moon rises as the sun sets are not so early after all.

5 comments:

Casey Klahn said...

The pale lavender is breathtaking, here.

Brandon Archibald said...

Great atmospheric effect! I love it

Patrice Erickson said...

Last September I was walking through a field nearby and saw this too, a full moon in the sun lit sky. It was around 7pm. I had my camera and took some photos for inspiration for future paintings. Yours is lovely. I like that reflection of the moon in the water.

Robin Pedrero said...

Your work is consistent in bringing me both calmness and invigoration.

Deborah Paris said...

Thanks everyone!