Saturday, January 2, 2010

Blue Moon

Blue Moon - 11 x 9
Vine charcoal and white conte on Twinrocker handmade paper
Available at Deborah Paris Fine Art


The full moon - the blue moon- was incredibly bright this week- lighting up the night and making for some wonderful moonlit landscapes. This drawing was made on one of several new papers I received from Twinrocker last week. I've been doing a little research on laid papers which were used by late 18th and early 19th century artists like J.M.W. Turner and Thomas Girtin. Both Turner and Gertin used a blue laid paper similar, I think, to this one. This one is called Cornflower Blue and is actually bluer than it appears on the screen. I'm getting great pleasure from experimenting with these different surfaces.

I've only a couple of spots left in the Drawing & Painting Trees online class starting in February. I've also scheduled a new Painting the Luminous Landscape online class which begins March 26, and a brand new class called The Painted Sky. Information and registration for all classes is here.

My very best wishes to all for a Happy New Year!

12 comments:

Double "D" said...

This is a beautiful blue moon.
You do nice work Deborah. Always
a joy to see the new pieces.
Thanks for sharing and happy new year.
Doug

Deborah Paris said...

Thanks for visiting Doug!

Gary Keimig said...

Very nice Blue Moon piece. Wonderful blog and really great art.

Deborah Paris said...

Thanks Gary- I bet its really chilly up there in Wyoming!

Karen said...

Oh Wow! fabulous work.

Caroline said...

Beautiful drawing Deborah you have managed to make the moon glow out of the dim lighting. Happy New Year to you.

Steve sculpts critters said...

Happy New Year Deborah,
We took a stroll down by the arroyo during the full moon on New Year's Eve with some friends.
Sure was both cold and bright (but of course there wasn't any water to reflect the light!).
So I guess you could say we were blue mooning on New Years Eve!

Sheila Vaughan said...

Hi Deborah, happy new year! I have been enjoying your recent drawings very much. They are so sensitively done and have an "eternal" feel to them.

Deborah Paris said...

Thank you Morgaine.

Thank you Caroline and all the best for the coming year!

Hi Steve- I bet that moon was beautiful in the New Mex sky!

Thank you Sheila- I appreciate your comment.

yal said...

très belle atmosphère dans tes dessins d'arbres..
Kisses from France for the new year !

amicalement,

Yann

Anonymous said...

Deborah, I love this series of charcoal drawings very much. Look so wonderfully old-fashioned from 18th/19th century. The lack of colour makes you concentrate on textures - simply gorgeous!
I hope I will find time one day again to go back to these kinds of drawings...
wish you a very successful New Year,
hugs, Petra

Deborah Paris said...

Thanks Yann.


Happy New Year to you to Petra! I hope it will be filled with good things for you this year. I appreciate your comments about the drawings very much!