Monday, April 29, 2013

Drawing Trees- Student Work

My Drawing & Painting Trees class is off to a great start! In this  class we have students from Alaska to France and all across the USA. I am really pleased with the work they are doing and also with the enthusiasm they are showing for drawing and for trees! Here are a few examples. Enjoy!

Carole Baker

Carole Baker

Jessie Cook

Jessie Cook

Jon Main

Jon Main

Jon Main
(copy of Asher B. Durand)

Lolly Shera
Lucy Durfee

Mallory Agerton

Mallory Agerton

Maria Glodt
(Copy of Wm. Trost Richards)




Beppy Deaton
(copy of Asher B Durand)

4 comments:

Carrie L. Lewis said...

I am impressed!

And inspired. Just last week, I decided to improve my drawing skills with life drawings. Your students have certainly set a very high bar.

Thanks for sharing.

Diana said...

Outstanding!

Ed Cahill said...

I'm impressed by the drawings but as a plein air painter and landscape guy I'm not so interested in bark and pine cones. I spend a lot of time painting trees and I think that a good understanding of each relevant species and how it grows—both alone and in groves would be information that would help me and others. Poplar, pine, oak, palm...each has it's own gesture and branching,each reacts uniquely to the low light or high light conditions it lives in. I guess in the end it's more botany than art but like the human figure you can draw it better when you know how it all works.

Deborah Paris said...

Thanks Carrie and Diana!

Ed, the first week of the class we do close studies to get our powers of observation and pencils sharpened. We study taper and branching, the architecture of trees. We also work on inducing that "intimate sympathy" that Rex Vicat Cole advises. We work strictly from Nature ( master copies excluded of course). This week we are working on foliage. Then we move on to painted studies of single trees and groups of trees. Always a good idea to understand the form and structure of things before you try to paint them! Botany? Hardly!