Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Vault of the Sky

Summer Skies #6
6 x 8



When I first began to paint landscapes many years ago, one of the most helpful ideas I came across was the description of the sky as a vault, arching up over us as well as out into the distance ahead. As a child, I often lay on my back in the grass watching clouds or stars at night. But, somehow, as adults we lose that sense of wonder at the thin little envelope of air and light that surrounds and protects us. About the same time I read that description, I started laying down on the grass in our garden and looking up again. Very edifying. I highly recommend it.

9 comments:

Kate said...

I love these skies.

Kate said...

I love these skies.

Erin said...

That is a wonderful suggestion! Since I'm on vacation I just might have to try it... This is a very serene painting. I love the color of the sky.

LDWatkins said...

Your skies are beautiful. Well, all of your works are wonderful, but I really like the skies.

Deborah Paris said...

Thanks everyone!

Steve sculpts critters said...

Couldn't agree more!
Driving around with a hot beverage enjoying skies is one of Meridee and my favorite passtimes!

Anonymous said...

absolutely stunning skies, wonderful work Deborah and good to have found your blog:)r.

Deborah Paris said...

Hi Steve- mine too!

Thanks Rahina and welcome!

Jala Pfaff said...

Great idea. The color of this sky is sooo beautiful!